Tuesday 11 August 2009

EARTHQUAKE!

I was woken up at 5:07am today as my room was being shaken about by a magnitude 4.3 earthquake (it was 6.6 nearer the source). It took me a few seconds to work out what on earth was happening, why my bed was shaking, and why everything that I could see through my window was moving and then I pretty much sat bolt upright and thought, "what do I do now?!" Thankfully the tremors only lasted a couple of minutes, but that was long enough for me to transition from being fast asleep to being more than wide awake and very alarmed! The weirdest bit was that even when the ground had stopped shaking, my building was still swaying from side to side. My apartment is on the 8th floor... :S

I now know to be extremely careful what I wish for!

I remembered to take my coat to work today as the weather reports were saying that typhoon Etau was going to hit Tokyo today (apparently the heavy rain yesterday was just a normal tropical storm...). It rained a little for about an hour in the morning and then was sunny all afternoon. I'm pretty sure the typhoon missed Japan and headed straight to the Pacific Ocean instead. Quite glad really, I think having and earthquake AND a typhoon on the same day would be a bit much really.

Work today was good - one of the guys spent an hour explaining how they use combinations of options and interest rate swaps to make more complicated structures. It doesn't sound it, but it is actually really interesting. Hopefully I'll get to come back to this desk for a few more days to learn some more. At the end of the day I got the 'exercise book' for my course, which starts tomorrow. It basically looks like I'm going to be studying for an exam on Japanese financial law. This sales rep 2 malarky could be a lot harder than I thought it was going to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment